Wednesday, January 8, 2014
Last year, I made a New Year's resolution to buy a record every month. I documented the first couple of months on Instagram - but then stopped. I stopped buying one a month... but sometimes, I bought a couple a month. So I figured that more than made up for it! The goal was to build a record collection sloooowly (so I wouldn't spend a ton of money at once.) And I accomplished that - so I'm very happy!
I got most of my records on Amazon or Ebay - there were a lot of good sellers with cheap options. I bought a few at Newbury Comics, but those were usually more expensive. They have a sale once a month - buy 2 and get 1 free - so I took advantage of that. And my sister got me a couple at Cheapo Records in Cambridge, one was only $1.99! The most money I spent was about $40 on Johnny Cash, but it was worth it! (I'm going through a Johnny Cash phase right now.)
As you can tell, I didn't stray too far from my music taste. I can't help it, I love me some Soul and Motown. I got a few different ones in there! I plan on buying a few different styles in the new year, although if it ain't broke don't fix it. Plus, I need to add some Marvin Gaye to my collection.
Here's to following through with a resolution! Even if it wasn't consistent... and I had a little help from my friends.
Here are my 2013 records:
1. Ella and Louie.
2. Ray Charles - What'd I Say
3. Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience (Part 1)
4. Etta James - At Last
5. Jay Z - The Black Album
6. Four Tops - Reach Out (gift from my sister!)
7. Otis Redding - Live in Europe (this was a birthday gift from my roommate, Kiley!)
8. Amy Winehouse Lioness: Hidden Treasures
9. Gladys Knight and the Pips Anthology (gift from my sister!)
10. The Temptations: Special Collector's Edition
11. Johnny Cash Original Sun Singles
12. John Denver and the Muppets - A Christmas Together (this was a Christmas gift from my friend, Rob!)